nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:06:44 -0400

Please describe these "snares." Thanks.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year

On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Scott Smith wrote:

I have had some luck with the snares Lucky mentions.  Put about four
of them on a 6' pole which is leaned 45 degrees against a tree they
like to climb up.  Squirrels will prefer using the 45 degree ramp to
walking vertically on the tree.  I would say the hardest part is to
learn how to set the snares properly, they are quite fickle.  I have
caught several squirrels in them in spite of bad setting technique.
Many more times I see a snare moved due to a squirrel that got away.
They are cheap, around $1 each.

There is a tube kind of lethal squirrel trap which was in the CRFG
magazine last year.  I got one and did not get a single squirrel in it.

The Havahart traps I have very intermittent luck with.  This year I
have not caught a single squirrel in one, but last year I got half a
dozen.  My best recipe is the .22 pellet, but it sounds like that will
not work for you Alan.

This year I have largely been OK due to all the squirrels I killed via
bait-and-shoot before the fruits came out, but there is one spot I
cannot shoot due to a neighbor house in the back and they have
recently stripped a couple peach trees in that area.  I have now set
several snares in that area and also threw down some sunflowers and
corn in the hope of distracting them from the peaches.

Scott