nafex - Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets, help

  • From: Patrick Mulligan <patmul76@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets, help
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:27:48 -0800

During hot dry summers when yellow jackets interfere with raspberry picking, I have found a 5 gal bucket, water, a pint of crushed raspberries, 1.5 T of liquid dish soap and a cup of sugar hold the answer.

The trap is crude but alluring to yellow jackets.  Put the crushed berries, soap, a gallon of water in the bucket.  Place the bucket where yellow jackets seem plentiful.  They go in, get a little soapy water on them and drown.

If you get more than one or two curious honeybees in the trap - ADD water.  Bees won't be attracted to a weak solution.  The traps have lasted until first frost or when the bucket is to full to drown more.

I usually allow the yellow jackets do their work eating insect pests until they start eating the raspberries.  By then most pest populations are dying off.

Pat Mulligan
z 3
Palmer Alaska

Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety. Help protect your kids.

  • Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets, help, Patrick Mulligan, 07/19/2008