nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hidden benefit of frost free refrigeration

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hidden benefit of frost free refrigeration
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:14:26 -0400

My old produce cooler is not frost-free, and is preferable for produce storage for that reason (as well as because it can be set for a wider range of temperatures than a household refrigerator can). The produce drawers in most standard household refrigerators are I believe also there to prevent dehydration of the produce.

Dehydrated stuff may indeed be sweeter; but the texture of half-dehydrated produce isn't pleasant, and the stuff doesn't look fresh. I don't think most customers want it that way. If you have to store berries in a standard refrigerator, I'd cover them with something to keep them from drying out.

If you really want to dehydrate them, I'd go all the way and turn them into dried fruit. There is a market for that. But the fridge won't do it, you'd need a proper dehydrator, at least unless you're in a very dry climate and can let the weather accomplish it properly (around here you'd just get mold).

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly