nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aesthetic deer fence--double or slanted fence?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aesthetic deer fence--double or slanted fence?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:51:30 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2008 6:12:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, burdrs@gmail.com writes:

Does anyone have any experience using double fences or slanted faces?

Yes, I have a double fence. The first and main fence is six strands of barbed wire, that came with the property when purchased. It was a pasture which now has my persimmon and pawpaw orchard. The other side is wooded which provided seclusion. They simply jumped over the five foot fence. On a NAFEX filed trip we saw a two fence arrangement that was simple and easy to keep mowed. A second single strand of barbed wire is behind the main fence, 3 feet back and 3 feet high. X represents barbed wire strands.

  X       X

I believe if is effectively reduces deer jumping across it. This is not a cure, as when deer are in a dead run it presents no problem. But if simply walking they don't seem to like the distance between and refrain from jumping.  After I installed it, several times the second fence was broken and deer hair in the barbs. They seem to have learned. I believe firmly enough that it reduces deer traffic across it that I have maintained it for several years now, mowing and spraying Roundup between and under the two. They can see both fences.

I do have a small area, about 3/4 acre, with a woven fence 9 feet high all the way around.  That keeps them out, period. Only one time have I seen evidence of deer in it, that was when I left the gate open over overnight.

Jerry