nafex - Re: [NAFEX] white druplet disorder-blackberries

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] white druplet disorder-blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:25:06 -0700

Mark,

We had this problem last year in raspberries in south coastal B.C.

The consensus was that we had had some quite cool or average weather (20-25°C) and suddenly the temperature got to 33°C (91°F) and 35°C the next day (95°F). This was a few days before the start of picking. One or two or three druplets in the berries which were exposed to full sun sunburned and turned white. These raspberries were the first to rot.

It was very poor timing on the part of the sun.

It is the first time I can remember it happening in 17 years of growing raspberries.

Derry Walsh
(south coastal B.C.)

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:
We're started picking Arapaho blackberries now, and a high percentage have
several white (or tan) drupelets per berry. The white drupelets shrivel and
die and make the berries unappealing.