nafex - [NAFEX] Red Elderberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Red Elderberry
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:55:15 -0500

Re Red Elderberry, Sambucus racemosa, someone sent me this:

I put the Red elderberries through the Squeezo and it removes the skins and seeds. Then you can create syrups, jellies or juice without worrying about the seeds. The seeds are poisoness in the reds. I use the blacks raw, for jellies, syrups and pies, the flowers for deep frying in a sweet batter, also if the blossom of the black elder is soaked in raw, warmed honey, it will create a wonderful cough syrup. I add peppermint to this mixture to help open the sinus passages. Children love it. I have never used the blue elderberry. We have over 35 wild bushes of the black elders here at Fruitful Acres. Kat
--- In TheEssentialHerbal@yahoogroups.com,

  • [NAFEX] Red Elderberry, Jim Fruth, 06/23/2008