nafex - [NAFEX] Gooseberry help

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry help
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

I have a large gooseberry plant, commercially obtained as "Catherine" that has never produced fruit.  Each year, a large number of blossoms are followed by small fruit development that gets aborted as the fruit starts to approach 1/4" size.  While gooseberries are self-fertile, there are also plenty of other pollinators available.

I'm ready to dig this one up and reassign the space, but don't want to do that if there is some other kind of action that might fix the situation.

Anybody see this type of problem in gooseberries before or have any ideas.  This is the second time I've asked this question.

Thanks