nafex - Re: [NAFEX] big storm

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] big storm
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:36:50 -0500

Steve, While I was checking for cicada damage on a young pear tree I saw the scars from a hailstorm several years ago. You'll probably have to watch for fireblight next. I was looking at cicada damage the other day and suddenly realized that it was Japanese beetle time and wondered why I ever thought it was a good idea to plant fruit trees.
When I was a kid I was always wondering how they did things in "the old days". My curiosity on this subject has gotten me into all kinds of weird situations. One thing I do often think though, is how hard life must have been. On the other hand... if everybody was hungry enough to kill all the squirrels for food, people in town would be able to harvest their own gardens again. And here in Tenn, people had totally wiped out the deer, and coons and possums were hunted and trapped for fur. So maybe in ways humans had LESS competition. And I also think there were more birds to eat all the bugs. Hail and 17 year cicadas were still givens though. Donna

  • [NAFEX] big storm, Steve, 06/12/2008
    • Re: [NAFEX] big storm, Donna &/or Kieran, 06/12/2008