nafex - [NAFEX] Some Interesting Fruit Facts.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: Rarefruits <rarefruit@yahoogroups.com>, NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Coolfruits <CoolFruit@yahoogroups.com>, PFF List <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>, PitayaFruit@yahoogroups.com, PomWorldwide List <PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Some Interesting Fruit Facts.
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:40:38 +0530

Dear fruit lovers,

Do you know that:
  • Date palm is the oldest fruit known to man.  It was under cultivation 5000 years ago.
  • Mango has over 1000 varieties in India, duly recorded and described.
  • The Oldest Living Fruit Tree in North America is The Endicott Pear Tree. Planted in 1632, and still alive today.
  • Monthan variety of banana in India is cultivated only for its leaves.  Most orthodox South Indians prefer to eat in banana leaves instead of plates.
  • Durian is the smelliest fruit.
There must be hundreds of such facts about over 4000 edible fruits.

I am making a collection and already have 56 such "interesting fruit facts".

I have put these facts in a "cartoon strip" format.  I am releasing one such fact every week in Fruitipedia.  This weeks Fruit fact is about jackfruit which is the largest fruit (upto 35 kg) and the heaviest yielder (a tree can bear upto 250 fruits).

I am making a collection of such facts.  I am sure that many list members must be knowing similar interesting facts.  I therefore them to kindly send such facts to me.  If found suitable, I shall put them in Fruitipedia alongwith the name of the person.

So let others be amused/informed/benefited by your knowledge and e-mail such facts from your collection to me.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com