nafex - [NAFEX] mini and columnar Apples

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mini and columnar Apples
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:45:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Before you get too excited about minicolumnar apples I think you want to
double check your impression. Most of Gene's tress are on M27 and p22. They
are very dwarfing rootstocks they don't really change the growth habit of
the tree, just the size. (He wouldn't have the kinds of flavored apples and
all the antiques that he does if he were only using columnar trees. There are
just not that many out there.) The Maypole and other columnar apples you see
in the Stark catalog are columnar mutations that are grafted on the top of
the tree and will be columnar regardless of what rootstock they are on.

Another comment when I moved here from Illinois our house had 5 or 6
different columnar apples, probably all that Stark carried. I let them all
fruit and only one seemed worth keeping that one was vaguely Macintosh like.
When I talked to Gene he concurred that the only columnar apple he thought
was worth eating worth eating was the original Wijcik AKA Starkspur Compact
Mac which was a Mac mutation.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] mini and columnar Apples, Martha L. Davis, 06/08/2008