nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:53:51 -0500

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would suspect that in a hot dry climate, summer
pruning would aleviate stress on the tree rather than create more. You're
taking away leaf surface area that is otherwise respirating and causing water
loss in the plant. If it stimulates new growth that hasn't hardened off I
could see how that might be less than ideal, but I don't think the tree is
going to put much energy into that if water is an issue.

That's very interesting, Michael. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

I guess I just thought that pruning would always be stressful, and that each cut would have to be healed (meanwhile leaking fluids?). But I suppose a pruning cut on a green, growing twig would seal itself pretty quickly. Obviously, I still wouldn't want to do it on a particularly hot and windy day, but maybe I've been looking at this wrong.

Thanks for the observation!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them. - Steve Eley