nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning to subdue vigor - pear

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning to subdue vigor - pear
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:18:17 -0400

This is a topic of great interest to me. Pruning/training is such an
art.

I have just planted a Magness whip grafted to quince (dwarfing)
rootstock. It is branching out, and as soon as the branches start
firming up, I have trained them to have a wider crotch angle as most
tend to want to grow rather upright. I am letting everything leaf out
while maintaining a strong central leader. I am seeking information to
train it correctly from the start. This is my first free-standing dwarf
pome.

Questions:
- how low should the lowest branches be from the ground?
- I was planning to thin laterals next dormant season. How far apart
should I prune the lateral branches (for example - every 4 inches along
the trunk, every 8, etc)? Or do I leave them close spaced and as the
plant matures thin them along the trunk? The tree is about 4 feet tall
now.
- should I remove the most vigorous branches as Alan has suggested for
plums? In my experience, pears can really like to shoot straight up in
vigorous suckers - will this method limit that habit?.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC