nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Terra Preta

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Terra Preta
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:11:43 -0500

My son pointed out that the easiest way to get charcoal in small bits was to burn sawdust. Unfortunately winter is over now, but if you do any fires at all this summer you might want to try this. I took a tin with a lid, mine was a cookie tin about 8" high, and I punched two holes in the lid with a nail. I wrapped wire around tin below the lid to lift it out when hot, this is not really necessary. I'd stuff it full of sawdust and put it in the wood buring stove on it's side with the two holes near the middle of the fire. As it heated the producer gas would blow out the little holes and burn, we'd hear it going. We'd take the thing out later, let it cool before opening it. The result is nice fine charcoal. Sometimes I didn't leave it in the fire long enough and the middle was still brown. You can't open it while it's atill really hot, or it will just burn up. Sawdust is getting harder and harder to find free. I get mine from a truss factory, nice and dry and fine. Donna