nafex - [NAFEX] Compatability of sulphur and BT (Bacillus thuragiensis)

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Compatability of sulphur and BT (Bacillus thuragiensis)
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:42:58 -0300

Most interesting issue.  I am more-or-less organic, currently using wettable sulphur for control of scab (I need it - we live on the Atlantic coast, and it is wet.) I also have a major problem with the spring caterpillar complex, who get into the flower clusters even before the blossoms open.  To combat these I want to spray BTK.  The question is whether this is even possible.  I supect that tank mixing is completely out, as the sulphur will change the pH and kill the living bacilli.  How about spraying sulphur one day, and BT the next day?  The sulphur will still be sitting around on the leaves - will it kill the BT?  Obviously I can't wait until all the sulphur has washed off with the next rain before spraying the BT.  Can the two coexist at least on the trees? If so, how long between the sulphur and the BT do I need to leave?