nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafted chinese chestnuts vs. Dunstan seedlings

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafted chinese chestnuts vs. Dunstan seedlings
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 07:04:38 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/2008 2:43:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov writes:

Does anyone recommend Dunstan seedlings to avoid these apparent grafted tree problems? Is there a good source of seedling trees that will produce fairly consistent nuts
?

Maybe 15 years ago I purchased two Dunston seedlings. They grew fine and even got nuts. Then one year one died to the ground, resprouted the next. The following year cut off all but two shoots and the following year saved on which by that time had grown as large as the one which hadn't frozen. Was getting nuts. Then one year both died. When the new shoots came up I killed mowed them off and gave up.

The original Dunston hybrid supposedly has fungus resistance. Seedlings may not be as resistant as the seed parent.

No shestnut has survived here more than about 8 years.

Jerry
5b

  • Re: [NAFEX] grafted chinese chestnuts vs. Dunstan seedlings, Jwlehman, 05/18/2008