nafex - [NAFEX] TriLite OK in Zone 6

  • From: "V. Michael Bove Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] TriLite OK in Zone 6
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:58:43 -0400

Of course the sample size is small and your results might vary, but the TriLite peach-plum cross I planted last year has flowered (in between the myrobalan plums and the peaches) and seems to be setting a couple of fruit. This despite Raintree saying it's hardy only to zone 7.

Some other things left in the ground over winter that did and didn't make it: small-leaf tea (unprotected) is doing fine. Citrandarin (wrapped in burlap) has some green cambium left on lower branches but looks awfully sad. A notable thing is that the citrandarin didn't lose its leaves or go fully dormant in fall, while a potted citrumelo that I'm told is hardy to Z7 drops its leaves in November whether I leave its pot outside (which I usually do till mid-Dec.) or put it in the cold greenhouse. I wonder whether that one would be a better bet for growing outdoors with a small amount of protection...

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Zone 6 (MA/RI border)

  • [NAFEX] TriLite OK in Zone 6, V. Michael Bove Jr., 05/15/2008