nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Moonglow pear

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Moonglow pear
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 12:15:12 -0400

My three p. ussuriensis are in full bloom right now, way ahead of any apple trees which are not even showing pink clusters yet. Cherries are not flowering yet either although I have seen wild plums in full bloom yesterday. I am in zone 3-4. The only pollinator working on the pear trees are a small wasp type which I had never noticed before. They are definitely collecting nectar in the pear flower, but they seem so small that I wonder about their ability to carry pollen from one tree to the next. It will be interesting to see.

Hélène, north of Ottawa
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>