nafex - [NAFEX] self-pollination

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] self-pollination
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:19:24 -0500

I have a Summercrisp pear that fruited last August for the first
time. Just a few pears but it pollinated itself because there is no
other pear tree around. Read on Net that this happens occasionally
to a limited extent with lone pears. Went to one summer nursery and
was told there is no such thing as a Summercrisp pear tree. Second
nursery told me they never heard of Summercrisp and Golden Spice pear
would not grow in this zone. (Golden Spice is hardy to -45 F). I
called and found a nursery that sells Golden Spice pear and I also
hope to get a Westcot apricot. 200 mile round trip but it is worth
it. I was really surprised last Fall when I saw pears on tree. I
forgot I had it. I finally remembered buying it about 9-10 years ago
in Mora, Minnesota

Zone 2-3 Minnesota