nafex - [NAFEX] Controlling scab

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Controlling scab
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 18:26:37 -0400

Here in my zone 6 southeastern NY I get complete control of scab and cedar apple rust by mixing myclobutanil (Nova or Eagle) with oil in my half inch green to tight cluster spray and than adding Nova to my insecticide (Imidan) spray with some captan at petal fall and once more 10 to 14 days later.  On a third of the 100+ orchards I manage I skip the first spray and still get control although Cornell insists I should have bred resistant scab some time ago.  I've been using this in some sites for almost 20 years where there are very susceptible varieties like Macintosh.

For apples this 2 or 3 spray program is all I've needed to get very sound fruit in my climate.  I can even wait for the later flowering varieties to finish before I spray any of the trees.  Commercial growers usually seem to need a lot more input than those without more than a couple acres of mixed trees.

  • [NAFEX] Controlling scab, Alan Haigh, 05/08/2008