nafex - [NAFEX] Cherry defense

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherry defense
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 13:41:25 -0500

I think I might have mentioned this awhile back, but here is my Dad's best and safest and easiest and most fun way to deter birds from his cherries:

Put sticky wax (Tree Tanglefoot) on some ideal-sized perching sticks.  Get 'em really gooey.  Fasten them with wire, twine or whatever, in choice landing spots in your cherry trees.  It doesn't seem to take too many to get the message across to the birds.  When they land on a sticky perch one time, they get the hint and don't come back.  Seems like they tell their friends, too.  Works quickly.

Dad likes to wait as long as he can to put the sticky perches out so the birds have a fresh reminder between their toes when the cherries get ripe.  The fun part is watching them deal with sticky feet.  They do not like it.  Seems to do them no other harm, so I'm all for this until/unless there is harm being done to the birds other than to their pride.  Since the product is only sticky wax, I can't see how any real damage might be done.

Good Picking!

Tim Inman
Zone 4, Iowa

  • [NAFEX] Cherry defense, Tim Inman, 05/08/2008