nafex - Re: [NAFEX] HELP! my Mason Bees need a home

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] HELP! my Mason Bees need a home
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:50:49 -0500

Where do I put the unhatched bees? In a small container next to the new nest box? I don't have so many so can I/should I put the small box of unhatched bees in the same litter pail I'm going to nail to the machine shed wall for the straws?

Yes and yes. I don't think it matters too much. I just tie mine in a bunch under the nest box, but you can put them in a container nearby or in with the new tubes, if you want (make sure the correct end of the tube is facing out). They may re-use the old tubes, too. Apparently, they prefer that (though I'd think it would increase any parasite problems).

My bees didn't do too well this year, for some reason. I've had them out for a month, but the weather was cool, so they were very slow emerging. And many of the tubes are still showing no sign of live bees. I've had lots of trees blooming this year, but very few bees around.

PS. You might get leaf-cutter bees nesting in the tubes, too. I had a bunch of them take over tubes last year (you can tell because they plug the ends with bits of leaves, not mud). But they seem to be later nesters than the blue orchard or mason bees, not starting until the other bees are pretty well done for the season.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We need a President who understands the fundamental truth that's been at the heart of America's economic success - that each American does better when all Americans do better; that the well-being of American business and the American people are aligned. - Sen. Barack Obama