nafex - [NAFEX] Euro-ribes and afternoon sun. Z6 S. N.Y.

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Euro-ribes and afternoon sun. Z6 S. N.Y.
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:37:57 -0400

In a posting about ribes in the lower zones it was recently suggested that they'd appreciate protection from the afternoon sun.  Speaking theoretically it seems to me that they would need protection from mid-day or high-sky sun.  The poster might have meant early afternoon sun but at least the last half of afternoon should be an ideal light intensity in zone 8 just as late morning sun would not be.  Make sense?

If I'm correct the ideal strategy would be to have the shading directly over-head.  Can anyone coroberate this with actual experience?