nafex - [NAFEX] Fuyu and other oriental persimmon in the Northeast

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fuyu and other oriental persimmon in the Northeast
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:03:07 -0400

Bass, I have Chocolate, Fuyu (unknown which one), Jiro, Hachiya and I have managed to keep them alive for six years in zone 6B/7A. The coldest they took was -2F a couple years ago, plus several years of 0F. They are very much borderline however so who knows how many more years they will last. I find them tastier than Great Wall so I hope they can hang in there. For the PVNA types I am growing the Maru variety from the Wye collection in the hope that it is more hardy than Chocolate - the fact that it survived so many years in Maryland bodes well for it.

Scott

I'm wondering if I can grow these not so hardy persimmon in Pennsylvania.Matsumoto
wase fuyuChocolate HachiyaDid anyone try growing these successfully in
zone 6?I live in eastern part of PA, I'm in zone 6/7. I'm currently
growing Hana Fuyu, Great wall with no winter damage.

  • [NAFEX] Fuyu and other oriental persimmon in the Northeast, Scott Smith, 05/04/2008