nafex - [NAFEX] Controlling Boysenberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Controlling Boysenberry
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:29:14 -0500

Diane Whitehead said, "Controlling Himalayan blackberries is a lot easier than controlling
some of the cultivated berries, like loganberries and boysenberries..........."

Are my Boysenberries unusual? Mine do tip-root but rarely on their own. There are so many people wanting plants and the only way to do it seems to be to dig a hole, insert the growing point and cover it. Sure, I could bury whole vines to root them but I'd rather not because I enjoy the berries more than I enjoy selling plants. Here in zone 3, Boysenberries make it through the Winter just fine so long as they get at least 2" of snow cover but I wish they'd make more new plants without my help.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: