nafex - Re: [NAFEX] IPM

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] IPM
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:42:51 -0700

I, too, wish there were better standardization of what constitutes IPM.  UC Davis here is so influential in agriculture and IPM practices that I wonder if there’s not a lot commonality of practice.  Our food coop allowed IPM produce up until a few years ago, when we (they, I differed) decided there was enough price-and-quality comparative organic produce to supply the store (fifth largest US food coop).  That’s a little spoiled – very few stores anywhere can adopt an all-organic produce policy.  There was always the question of what constituted acceptable IPM.  The store may have had a standard, or it just may have been based on interviews with suppliers, which is how the produce buying began for the store in the early 70s when there were no real standards.

The IPM Institute of North America is, I believe, trying to get conformity of standards.  It may be a useful resource or, or at least an interesting site to browse:

http://www.ipminstitute.org/

~ Stephen