nafex - [NAFEX] later blooming cots

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] later blooming cots
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:15:01 -0400

I grow Harglow, which is reasonably hardy for the northeast, at least down to Z 6.  It blooms almost a week later than most here. This has not saved the crop for me after about 8 years because the hard frosts have come outside that window, which is often the case with later blooming cultivars or cultivars that are a few degrees more bud hardy- most years it isn't enough to make a difference.  Apricots are by far my most fragile trees, incidentally.  Sometimes I can't even pinpoint why the fail on a given site.