nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach Apricot Hybrids and Apricots

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach Apricot Hybrids and Apricots
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:44:21 -0700

Craig Ledbetter with the USDA in CA. has been working with Hunza apricots brought back by Dr. Maxine Thompson. He says they bloom about two months after regular apricots. The problem is that they have no disease resistance because of their background. Hunza is so isolated there is no disease of apricots. The material came back as seed, so he has seedlings. The fruits are small, but very high in sugar. None has been released, only used in breeding.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com