nafex - [NAFEX] The Land Institute

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <gardenwriters@lists.ibiblio.org>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: clong@motherearthnews.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] The Land Institute
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:03:17 -0500

This issue of Newsweek is devoted to green issues.  One of the articles covered the Land Institute in Salina, KS and their efforts to hybridize common food crops such as corn, wheat, millet and sunflowers to make them perennials.  That way much less energy would be consumed planting and replanting, the soil would stay untouched and develop a food web. plus fertilizer and soil run-off into the water supply would diminish greatly.

Perennial vegetables, perennial fruit, perennial anything edible sounds very logical to me.  In fact, Eric Toensmeir's award-winning book, Perennial Vegetables, opened my eyes to what is possible with edibles.

Has anyone worked with or interviewed anyone at the Land Institute?  Are there other groups doing this kind of breeding work?
Doreen Howard

  • [NAFEX] The Land Institute, Doreen Howard, 04/09/2008