nafex - [NAFEX] Hungarian Rose apricot

  • From: "Robert Bruns" <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hungarian Rose apricot
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:21:24 -0400

Nineteen years ago, I bought a standard-size Hungarian Rose apricot from Stark Bros.  I've had relatively good luck with it - the fruit quality is excellent, and I get crops about half the time, whenever there isn't an egregiously late frost.  It blooms on the same day as Puget Gold, a variety that is reputed to be late-blooming.

Anyway, I'm moving to a new house a few miles away, and Stark Bros no longer carries the variety.  I've saved some scionwood, but judging from my poor success rate with persimmons, I'm not so confident I'll succeed with the grafting.  Does anyone know of a commercial source for Hungarian Rose?  Or would someone want to try the grafting and send me the successful product?  I would be glad to pay for it.

I think this is a variety worth preserving, so if anyone would like scionwood I can send some.

Fred Bruns
Carmel, IN