nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fireblight

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fireblight
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:08:52 -0500

Alan,

Fire blight can be a ballooning problem if not dealt with properly when it first emerges on certain cultivars. There are some cultivars that are much more prone to fire blight like Jonathan and Gala as well as the new Sansa, and some rootstocks more susceptible as well.  If you have the combination of variety and rootstock such as Jonathan on M7 or Gala on M111 it can balloon dramatically under the right conditions.  Even with spraying copper and strep,  last season we had a few blighted shoots on a few Gala on M7 stock in one row.  I noticed the symptoms early in the morning and before we could get out to prune them out, after noon we had a severe thunderstorm with 50 mile per hour winds out of the north.  The tree rows where the blight was ran east to west.  Within 10 days we had fire blight on 15 rows that followed a triangular pattern from north to south beginning with the northern most row where the first symptoms appeared.  It took 5 men 3 days to cut it all out along with 12 trees that were too far gone to save.  Fortunately, we had planned to remove 5 rows of those trees this past winter and replace them with the new Snow Sweet and Candy Crisp varieties.  In Michigan, where fire blight is resistant to strep, entire orchards have been wiped out in a matter of days.  Consider yourself very fortunate that you have had situations where damage was minor and never spread.