nafex - Re: [NAFEX] sea buckthorn

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] sea buckthorn
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:52:26 -0700 (PDT)

I am growing the variety Sunny from One Green World that just starting fruiting for me last year.  The fruit were probably about 4 times the size of an unnamed variety that I also have. (1/2 in or more long, unto 1/4" diameter typical size for Sunny last year).

Sunny is sweet and not noticeably acid for me.  I consumed the fruit fresh, straight from the bush.  The flavor is similar to passion fruit juice that I've had from commercial sources but if I get enough to juice, I would probably mix with orange juice to make more acid.  My reaction to Sunny's fruiting will be to try a couple more of their (OGW) named ones.

I would strongly recommend a named variety rather than generic seed for this one if your purpose is fruit, because of the difference in berry size (and taste) between the unnamed bush and the named one.  They are also attractive bushes.  I do agree with the comment regarding potential invasiveness.  All three of my bushes have started significant suckering but this is not a problem for me here.

I am just getting some experience with sea buckthorn, even though I've had the unnamed variety for about a decade.  It is only recently that they have started to produce anything.

John

Ernest Plutko <ernestplutko@wiktel.com> wrote:
Anyone have experience growing sea buckthorn? Is the juice good? I
bought 30 seeds.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----