nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Creating Homes for Wild Bees

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Creating Homes for Wild Bees
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:03:29 -0500

Scientists already know that female blue orchard bees (Osmia lignaria) and certain other wild bees prefer to nest in cavities that other females of their species once occupied. That's problematical because old nests may be contaminated with disease-causing spores.

Huh! I wondered why my bees re-used the old, cruddy holes they'd just crawled out of last spring, instead of the nice, new ones I'd provided for them. Well, they did that a couple of times, anyway.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that, Lon.

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin