nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Coffee grounds bad for mycorrhizal fungi?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Coffee grounds bad for mycorrhizal fungi?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 07:37:02 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

"Used" coffee grounds have been sterilized with boiling water and most of the water-soluble chemicals have been extracted into the java - so the coffee grounds after brewing should be quite safe to use as a mulch around plants.

However, the cup of coffee brewed from the coffee grounds now contains all those water-soluble chemicals and probably should NOT be poured around the plants or outside on the ground - you are better off to drink it and let you body take care of those chemicals.

Jim - zone 7 North Carolina