nafex - [NAFEX] Pear tree bark

  • From: halegp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear tree bark
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:07:03 -0400

I have been around pear trees for most of my life and I have never seen anything like what is happening to my only pear tree.  I don't know the variety because I bought it fifteen years ago or so from an nursery in Arkansas where it was listed as highly resistant to fireblight which is the curse of pears in my vicinity.  It is indeed resistant to fire blight.  I noticed today, however, that there seems to be a problem with the bark, on the upper trunk and the connecting limbs.  They are scaling bark off.  The only description I can offer is that it looks similar to what Sycamore trees andf river birches do.  Is this a problem I should worry about?  If needed is there a cure or preventative?

Thanks for reading.

 Gordon Hale
Grand Prairie, Texas