nafex - [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:27:29 -0400

Justin, I am growing many varieties of fruits organically in Maryland. While variety choice is important, I have not found it to be the major factor. All of the fruits you mention except pears have major problems with plum curculio and moths whatever variety you grow; as Lucky mentions it is hard to grow any variety organically. I have had few disease problems on my apples other than fireblight; this disease is just as bad for non-organic growers so any apple working well in the area is good. The next biggest disease problem I have had is cedar apple rust, and the apple hit hardest is .. Gold Rush, the new super disease-resistant variety from Purdue. (apparently this disease is not one which Gold Rush was bred to be resistant to; also, other than this problem it is a fantastic apple). The point I am making is the disease-resistant apple cultivars have not been appreciably easier for me at least. I would say disease resistance matters more on plums and peaches since there is a noticeable difference in serious disease susceptibility. Get peaches and plums which are more resistant to bacterial spot and brown rot. For apricots, get varieties with proven records on the east coast, such as Jerseycot, Harcot, or Puget Gold. Many apricot varieties bloom too early or rot and are no good here whether you grow organically or not. Rootstock selection is little different for organic vs non- organic production.

I would recommend researching growing technique in great detail if you want to grow those fruits organically. Here are my key weapons against pests and diseases: Surround; spinosad; dormant oil; copper (Kocide 3000); sulphur; lime-sulphur; fruit bagging (with ziplocks and with hose stockings). Michael Phillips' book The Apple Grower is an excellent book on organic apple growing which covers many of these topics.

I am testing many varieties but only have results in on a fraction. At this point some varieties that have been working for me include Shiro, French Petite and La Crescent plums, O'Henry and Belle of Georgia peach, Gold Rush, Fuji, Gala, Kidds Orange Red, Wickson, and White Winter Pearmain apples, Kosui asian pear, and Harcot and Puget Gold apricots.

I would also look into some less common fruits which are very tasty and are much easier to grow organically: asian pears, jujubes, persimmons, hardy kiwis, and figs have all been successful for me with minimal work (except for the nasty persimmon psylla on my persimmons).

Overall, organic fruit growing in the mid-atlantic region is a large commitment. Still, with the new tools available today (and more coming along every year) I would say you can succeed in producing fruit for your own consumption. If you want to sell the fruit that is another matter -- the perfect-looking fruit expected today is very hard to achieve.

Scott

Hello All,
I am new to the list, but would like to inquire about knowledge regarding appropriate varieties of apple, pear, plum, peach, apricot for organic growing conditions in central New Jersey, or similar climate. I would love to hear from folks who know of trials, or have certain recommendations of their own. Also, any information regarding more successful rootstocks would be appreciated.
Thanks
Justin West

  • [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey, Scott Smith, 03/22/2008