nafex - Re: [NAFEX] disease reisistant varieties

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] disease reisistant varieties
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:45:23 -0400

Alan, where are you based?

I used to shop at an orchard in central NJ that grew Liberty, along with several other apples. One October they held a blind "taste test" as part of an apple festival, and the Liberty apple won - it beat the Macintosh handily.

Now, NJ is really too far south to grow a good Mac, and I preferred both the Jonathans and the Stayman Winesaps at that orchard to the Libertys, but Liberty is a tasty apple. I would have thought it's two biggest defects are its relatively small size and its narrow picking window for top quality.

Ginda