nafex - [NAFEX] Ribbed Apples

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ribbed Apples
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:02:22 -0400

Back in December, I was asking questions about my Sunrise apple (a single grafted branch) trying to understand how it could be that every scion I attempted to collect had brown cambium inside, yet the tree leafed out and produced fruit as normal.

I was just looking through some pictures (getting ready to ask a new question) and found this picture:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df24b3127cceb36cc2e45af200000036103AaNmrJi4Ze

Several of the Sunrise apples produced last season had this unusual ribbed shape. (Most were normal.) Is Sunrise known to be prone to this? Are there certain conditions that can cause apples to take on this shape? This is the first time I have ever seen it.
Unfortunately, the only ribbed apple that was out in the open, allowing an easy picture, had a few blemishes where something had punctured the skin.

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4 on the map, zone 3 in real life)

  • [NAFEX] Ribbed Apples, Steve, 03/16/2008