nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Orchard Planning Advice

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Orchard Planning Advice
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:44:27 -0500

Randall,
From your description, trees appear on the north side, so no problem in the Northern Hemisphere (Maryland included).

I would also pay attention to the soil type, by using Web Soil Survey (online tool), or visiting your county ag extension/soil conservation office to determine the soil(s) on your potential site.  Any soil can be improved.  But if you have a choice, much easier to start with high quality soil site.

Consider asking about the history of the land there from old timers in the immediate area.  They often have an intimate, local and oral knowledge of what, to paraphrase Wendell Berry, is possible on your potential site, and what price has been paid when ignoring that local knowledge.

Contact me offline if more questions on soil maps and their use.

Richard Moyer
Peach, muscadine and fig jams for lunch--'summer in a jar'.

  1. Orchard planning--general advice needed (Randall Burd)

From: "Randall Burd" <burdrs@comcast.net>
Subject: [NAFEX] Orchard planning--general advice needed
I am considering a new house but I am concerned that the backyard will not
be orchard friendly. I would like any advice to help me make a decision.

The backyard has a space 30' x 115' feet that is on a very gentle southern
facing slope in Maryland. The Northen side of the rectangle is one of the
long sides (115') and has an E-W orientation, but abuts a tree line with
trees around 30-40 ft high. The long Southern edge and the short edges on
the East and West are open.

Will my apples, pears and peaches but starved for sun and not grow?

Thanks.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Orchard Planning Advice, Richard Moyer, 03/04/2008