nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Orchard planning--general advice needed

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Orchard planning--general advice needed
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:09:43 -0500

Title: Message

I’m not sure I have the geometry right, but I don’t think it would be a problem.  Shading problems would only arise from very tall things on the southern side of your lot, due to the angle of the sun in the summertime.  Since the southern edge is clear, there’s no problem.  If you have the house on the southern edge, there will be some shading on the north side of the house, so you should avoid planting trees within 10 or 15’ of the house (depending on how tall the house is), but that’s just a small area.

Since your lot slopes to the south, that improves the situation as well.  If you have flexibility for where you put the house, and you are planning to do a lot of orchard work, you could plan ahead to make sure you have a good view of the orchard from the house. Also, you can plan for where you are going to keep all your tools and equipment to make access easy.

If you have good southern exposure for your house as well, be sure to make a nice, efficient passive solar house design!  That’s what I did (http://home.comcast.net/~markdorogi/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html); I have a small orchard just to the northeast of my house; there are a few pictures in the “landscaping” tab of the website.  The closest tree almost touches the garage now.  Sunlight is no problem.

It sounds like you have a decent spot to me.

Mark