nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning and Dormant Spray

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning and Dormant Spray
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:32:58 -0500

Summer sprays cannot combine oil and sulphur (or lime-sulphur) since the combination is phytotoxic. But there are no leaves in the winter so they can be combined then.

I am curious about how people time their dormant sprays. I do only one spray and feel like it is best to spray as late as possible, just before the leaves come, so the bugs have started to wake up a bit and will be more vulnerable. I think I read something to this effect at some point and it sounded convincing. I think this stage is called "bud swell", before "green tip".

Scott