nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rootstock and scion storage

  • From: "John Bunker" <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rootstock and scion storage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:35:29 -0500

Rootstock: We sell rootstock in quantities of ten. You can see our selection by going to <fedcoseeds.com> and following the links to "Trees". If looking for rootstock other than those on our list, feel free to contact me off-list. We may have what you're looking for.
Storing scionwood: We store hundreds of feet of scionwood every year with virtually no problems ever. You can use this method for a few sticks or for many. We never use any moisture, damp towels, etc. After cutting the wood, we wrap a piece of duct tape around the bunch of that variety (or the single stick) and label with a sharpie. We then put the wood in a plastic bag. Several varieties can go in a single bag. Because we use so much, I use large heavy-duty garbage bags, but a bread bag is fine too if I only have a few sticks. Put the wood in a plastic bag and seal. Then put that bag in a second bag and seal. Then put that bag in a third bag and seal. Now, triple-bagged, you can store the wood in a refridgerator or cold basement, root cellar, wood shed, etc. We do not store wood in the freezer. We do put it in shed rooms that might freeze from time to time, though not severely.
Happy grafting!
John Bunker
Fedco- Maine