nafex - Re: [NAFEX] toilet ring gasket wax

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] toilet ring gasket wax
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:10:22 -0600

At 11:33 AM 2/11/2008, you wrote:
Lucky
Please be careful in using the toilet ring gasket wax as a
sealant. I thought it was so nice and awful easy to use so I put on
10 whip and tongue grafts 2 years ago. I had zero take and the bark
above and below where the wax hit ended turning black after a couple
of days. Normally on W&T grafts one obtains close to 100 % take but
something in the wax must be too powerful for the bark. Maybe some
other ring waxes are made of different material but test it on a
tree branch before you spend time grafting with it. Ray

Thanks, Ray - this may be reason enough NOT to even try it - and thanks for bringing this to the attention of the entire list; I'd hate to be responsible for someone applying this stuff to a whole bunch of grafts and really making a mess of things.
Lucky