nafex - [NAFEX] anyone to check old apple orchard while it's still there?

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: NAFEX email discussion group <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] anyone to check old apple orchard while it's still there?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:20:15 -0500

I ran into an acquaintance at the grocery store last night, and he mentioned that he was about to bulldoze the remains of an old apple orchard; in order to plant apples he thought would do better.

I said that he might want to get the old trees checked first in case there was something fascinating in there; he said that he didn't think so, as none of them produced fruit he thought was any good; but he did sound open to having somebody look. I encouraged him to join the NAFEX list and post here, especially as he said he's interested in antique apples and intended to plant some; but he said he's got limited computer access and didn't want to do this, but gave me his contact info and told me I could post the question.

So if anybody with old apple interests who's in this area wants to check the site (I would be entirely incompetent at this, and have no idea whether there's actually anything there worth the trouble), I can put you in touch with him. The orchard is near Dundee, NY. You can contact me off list at address in the header.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly

  • [NAFEX] anyone to check old apple orchard while it's still there?, Road's End Farm, 02/10/2008