nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dwarfing interstem on pear?

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dwarfing interstem on pear?
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:45:03 -0500

Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

Dear all,
I'm planning on ordering various blight resistant pears from Corvallis. Calleryana rootstocks grow great here, but they get so big. What do you all know about the use of dwarfing interstems for pears?

http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=658_28

Conference would be my first choice. It would be interesting to look at Seckel as an interstem...but there is no data.

see that they have OHXF 34, 51, 87 and 333. They say they are compatible with both communis and calleryana. Has there been much done with these as dwarfing interstems? Are there known problems with such trees? I could just use Magness, Maxine, or Warren as interstems on quince, but have been told that quince is as susceptible to apple borers as apple is. This would be defeating part of my purpose in switching to pears, which is to avoid tree losses to those *&^#+* borers. Please advise me before I do something stupid! Thanks. Donna