nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape varieties for pergola

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape varieties for pergola
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:15:10 -0800

If you want speed, use something with lots of vigor, like Niagara. Once it's up there, you'll hate it unless you have a huge pergola as it will grow so much it closes the sides off and turns the space under the arbor into a cave. A slower growing vine, well fed to get it up the arbor, will be better behaved in the long run. I have Swenson Red on an 8 x 12 arbor. It's not an excessively vigorous grape, but with good care it has filled the arbor in it's third season. One more year and it will be a solid cover over the top.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com