nafex - [NAFEX] Buffalo Berry

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Buffalo Berry
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:20:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Here in New Mexico high elevation zone 4 or 5 Buffalo berry looks beautiful
but suckers all over. I was considering planting it and gardeners with more
experience in this climate told me I didn't want it. I think one may need
several acres before it's spreading tendencies wouldn't be a problem. It may
mot be as much of a problem in a higher moisture area, I don't know. The
other thing was that I once tasted some commercial buffalo berry jam and was
severely underwhelmed. Try mulberries (Illinois Everbearing) gooseberries,
strawberries, black currants, persimmons, grapes, pawpaw, kiwi. There is a
lot of local expertise in the greater Chicago area MidFex also in the
springfield area and Terra Haute.

Martha Davis of New Mexico but formerly Chicago area.

  • [NAFEX] Buffalo Berry, Jim Fruth, 01/25/2008
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [NAFEX] Buffalo Berry, Martha L. Davis, 01/25/2008