nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mealy bug problem

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mealy bug problem
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:19:34 -0800

Title: Message

The same fish/sesame oil stuff I mentioned for citrus scale would work, but might be smelly for a greenhouse.  It’s called Organocide.  For a small-scale problem, you could use a blend of pyrethrin and insecticidal soap.  You could mix that yourself, or buy Safer’s Houseplant Insect Killer, which is fairly inexpensive.   There is a mealybug predator you could introduce, if you want Orion beetles patrolling the sunroom.  Or you could release the beasts outdoors, and let them control the mealybugs during the warmer seasons, so by the time you bring in your plants they would be pretty mealybug-free.  This could be a long-term solution, and is easy – but it’s the most costly – expect about $80, more than 10 times the premixed Safer spray.

I wonder why they’re spreading?  Have you changed soil mixtures?  Are the plants otherwise happy and healthy?

I would lean toward the pyrethrin/soap mix, and see what you can do outdoors to attract predatory insects; also check the soil in your pots for mineral build-up or nutrient presence and availability.  Maybe some things want repotting, with some slow-release organic fertilizer added.

~ Stephen