nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "Hawthorn" jelly; a bad name

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Hawthorn" jelly; a bad name
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:05:48 -0800

Yes, I know I’m late to this party.  I’ve fallen so behind on emails I – I moderate another group where the volume recently tripled to nearly 200 posts a day.  My virtual self has been virtually buried…

Jim,  I thought of highlighting the “May” and downplaying “Haw” and “Thorne.”  May Apple, of course, sounds nice, but the name’s taken by Mandrake… May Berry, or Mayflower Berry should you want to avoid people thinking this is Aunt Bee’s recipe (I would put May and Berry on separate lines to avoid confusion) sounds nice, both words being appealing, and ‘berry’ always sounds tasty.

I also like the idea of adding some juice or juice concentrate to redden up the color.

Trying to appeal to people with a giveaway or low price often doesn’t work; we associate price and value too closely.  I learned that back in psych (the major, not the ward).  I had a friend who showed “It’s a Wonderful Life” every Christmastime for free in his movie theater, but nobody came; I encouraged him to do it at a cheap price, but charge something, for perceived ‘bargain’ value – the place was packed.  Sometimes it’s easier to get people to try something by overpricing it.  You could possibly mention health benefits, too (“delectable May Berry is used to keep hearts healthy”, which sounds better than “Chemicals found in Hawthorne fruits may benefit patients with congestive heart failure).   Flavor always sells, but sometimes it’s hard to emphasize ‘healthful (maybe restrict to that word) and avoid implying ‘mediciney’.   Anyway, you might consider pricing at a premium, maybe 10% more than similar products in your line, then slowly lower the price as ‘supplies are finally catching up to demand, and our healthful and delicious May Berry Jelly is at its lowest price ever!! “

You are very right about the effect of names.  For years I couldn’t get past my preconception that ground cherry should be tomatillo-like, not fruity.  I finally tried some poha berry jelly – I knew perfectly well it was ground cherry, but I was able to use the tropical-sounding name to slip it past my prejudice…

~ Stephen