nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bramble propagation by stem cutting

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bramble propagation by stem cutting
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:56:36 -0500

Thanks Mike. I will try the roots, too.
Murph
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:36 PM

I would say try giving stem cuttings a try on the erect blackberries as I outlined in my message before.  Of all the blackberry groups, however, this is the one where we have the least success.  Some genotypes seem to respond ok to it and others hardly at all.  I know root cuttings work for many people with erect blackberries so I would not hesitate to try this though I personally have very little experience with it.  For red raspberries I probably wouldn't waste my time with stem cuttings unless it were really the only option as they are very easy to propagate from root cuttings.  I would assume doing erect blackberries from root cuttings would have about the same results as both of them form adventitious buds on the roots and send up suckers from them whereas the semi-erect blackberries are more crown forming...

Hope this helps,

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon