nafex - [NAFEX] Bill Eggers Bluebirds

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bill Eggers Bluebirds
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:08:07 -0500

Bill:

I don't know who is eating your cherries, but here in northern Virginia,
where we have a yard full of bluebirds every spring and summer, they never
touch the cherries. Bluebirds are thrushes, like robins, but here they are
principally insect eaters, and they have my full support. When birds visit
the cherry trees, they are usually robins, mockingbirds, catbirds, thrashers,
or grackles. Cardinals don't bother the cherries either. I like all of the
seed and insect eating finch species in the orchard, but bluebirds are a
thrush I can live with. Heaven help you if you have lots of mockingbirds.

Bluebirds are now wintering over in northern Virginia, which did not occur 20
years ago. This is apparently another sign of climate change, like the
resident populations of Canada geese.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Bill Eggers Bluebirds, Don Yellman, 01/16/2008